Monday

Inspire Me Monday - Mixed Media

Hello Everyone! How are you today? I am back for another Inspire Me Monday installment. My name is Kathy Racoosin and I am always delighted to be back on the Power Poppy blog. 


I am not sure if you have heard of "The Daily Marker 30 Day Coloring Challenge". If you have heard about it .... a big yah hoo from me lol. If you haven't you can click here for more info.  This current challenge is right in the middle of the 30 days and it's a great time to jump in and give it a try. 


One of the great things about the challenge is that there isn't that "pressure" to finish a card and to color just for the joy of coloring. That brings me to today ... I have been gone since Wednesday and have been coloring on the road. Usually it's not a challenge for me but, I have been finding myself with dark hotel rooms & barley a surface to create on. 


We just got home late Sunday night and I scattered my packed supplies on the kitchen table to do this post. (I usually always pack some Zig watercolor markers, a few stamps, ink, paper, sharpie, gel pen & colored pencils.)

I find it easier to start with the background. (The lily was stamped with Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink on Tim Holtz watercolor paper) 

First I scribble the marker around a portion of the flower then ...


 I wet my brush and paper to pull the color down working in sections on my paper. This jumbo Tiger Lily has always been a favorite of mine and it's fantastic to stamp and make shaped cards like I did in this post. 


Pink was my choice to start with ... so I added a purple watercolor marker to the Tiger Lily trying to keep some white areas on each petal. (the other lily's I will finish on another day)


To be honest this is looking flat without any pizazz don't you think? It's ok to be honest because I happen to agree with you. This is where the mixed media comes into play. 


Mixing different mediums on your coloring adds so much in my book. Doing this adds interest plus dimension with only three essential tools ... a white gel pen, a fine tip sharpie marker & a black colored pencil. 


 I like to point out that you don't need to know where the light source is coming from (unless that's important to you) I have heard many times that so many of you worry about the light source and where to place the darker areas on your images. You can still get dimension and interest with no stress.



 Adding some shading with a black pencil to the lines that intersect ... will really enhance your coloring with barely any effort I promise. I like to refer to this as coloring the "nooks and crannies"  The petals with the arrows are the areas that I darkened with the black pencil using a light hand and not pressing hard with my pencil. 

 


I thought a side by side might be helpful to see the difference and how adding few touches to your coloring makes a difference.

Pick up some pencils and a white gel pen to add a few highlights and see how it works for you. Thanks for your visit to day and I hope to see what you are coloring during the challenge. If you are sharing use the hashtag #thedailymarker30day so I can find your work on IG. Click here to find other ways to share. Have a great start to your week!

Hugs, Kathy

A Special Note from Marcella... 

I am offering the Tiger Lily XL for $13.99 this week only! SAVE $4 OFF RETAIL

And...


Use code 30DAYCOLORING during your checkout at powerpoppy.com to receive 30% OFF all digital stamp sets — now through the end of the Daily Marker Coloring Challenge!

12 comments:

Deborah Kaye said...

Beautiful image and coloring as always. I always worry about where to put the darker areas but I can remember the nooks and crannies tip. Thank you!

Carole said...

I have this stamp but have never used it. The coloring was just a little too intimidating for me but now I think I'll give it a go. Love your coloring. I love lilies, especially Asiatic lilies, and would really like to use this stamp. Thanks for the help.

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful coloring Kathy!! This stamp is lovely for coloring. The difference is stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Mrsfish02 said...

Superior tiger lily. I love the power Poppy gang. Really fun and great stamps. Get some rest, there still is a way to go.....

Ericka Strange said...

Beautiful love the colors and the details.

Bernadette said...

Your black pencil tip for dimension is wonderful, Kathy! And, the comparison shots showing the before and after looks are great for me! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I am 85 yrs. old and am trying my hand at making cards. I LOVE TO WATERCOLOR and love your style with making cards. I hope to share one of my cards sometime soon, although it takes me a while to get started. Thanks for sharing your God given talent with the crafting world. You really do inspire me to keep trying.

lritchie said...

Marlene good for you! It's never too late, Kathy a beautiful card, your skills amaze me!

Lisa T said...

Beautiful Kathy, I always love to see you colour this poppy - and the different colours you chose are just gorgeous. I have been adding little bits of black to some of my colouring lately, I do like how it comes out. Hope your week calms down a bit and you get to catch up with life xx

Teresa Doyle said...

What a gorgeous Tiger Lily. I love the size of it and you have certainly brought it to life Kathy. Fantastic as always!

Marjorie DUMONTIER said...

How stunning is this card !!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Kathy, what a fabulous Inspire Me Monday and amazing coloring with the Tiger Lily XL! WOW! Your colors are fabulous, and you sure do make it clear how important the nooks and crannies are with this one. Love the Zig markers and really see how important the white gel pen is with the black Sharpie and pencil! Thanks and hugs!